I showed the top selling vintage watches on eBay by quantity sold in my last post on watches.
What about the rare luxury watches that command a high price but are thinly traded? I found nine brands: Panerai, Jaeger LeCoultre, Blancpain, Audemars Piguet, Chronoswiss, Ulysse Nardin, Chopard, Breguet and Bell Ross.
Vintage wrist watches first became popular around WWI. The first watches worn on the wrist were designed for military use where people needed both hands.
You can still find beautiful pocket watches on eBay.
Panerai is a company that started out making timepieces for the Italian Marina Militare. This is a great Wikipedia article on Panerai:
“Panerai was founded in 1860 in Florence by Giovanni Panerai (1825–1897). It later became the official supplier of the Royal Italian Navy and expanded to building precision instruments.
In 1993, Panerai then moved to launch its products to the civilian market, but remained relatively obscure until the actor Sylvester Stallone spotted and bought a Panerai Luminor in a jewelry store in Rome in 1995 to wear during shooting of the film Daylight. Stallone ordered a small batch of such watches with his signature on the case back, called Slytech. He offered them as gifts to friends, including Arnold Schwarzenegger. The watch gained rapid popularity.”
1. The most watched Panerai Watches on eBay:
2. The most watched Jaeger LeCoultre Watches on eBay:
3. The most watched Blancpain Watches on eBay:
4. The most watched Audemars Piguet Watches on eBay:
5. The most watched Chronoswiss Watches on eBay:
6. The most watched Ulysse Nardin Watches on eBay:
7. The most watched Chopard Watches on eBay:
8. The most watched Breguet Watches on eBay:
9. The most watched Bell & Ross Watches on eBay: